League of Fans
Founded by Ralph Nader, League of Fans is a sports reform project working to improve sports by increasing awareness of the sports industry's relationship to society, exposing irresponsible business practices, ensuring accountability to fans, and encouraging the industry to contribute to societal well-being.
Alerts is League of Fans' email announcements list. Alerts provides news, information, the actions of League of Fans and/or Ralph Nader regarding sports issues, and calls-to-action for subscribers. All email updates are either selected or written by League of Fans.
League of Fans is motivated by people, just like you, who are upset with what has become of our sports and would like to make a difference. We work with concerned citizens, sports fans, civic groups and communities to increase awareness of the sports industry's relationship to society, influence a broad range of issues in sports at all levels and encourage the cooperative capacities that make the "sports powers-that-be" capable of helping, not just dominating, our society and culture.
News / Resources
We often think of sports as outside the realm of everyday citizen concern. But the many benefits to society that sports can provide are sometimes undermined by a different set of values, often based on the quest for higher and higher profits at the expense of fans, taxpayers, communities, culture and social justice.
Get Involved! Your involvement will improve sports for communities and fans, and encourage the sports industry to better contribute to societal well-being.
Sports Law Information
Web portal focused on law and government pertaining to sports.
- Amateur Sports
(1) Olympic Games Rules, Regulations, and Resources (2) Laws and General Resources (3) Organizations for Amateur Sports.
(1) Laws Concerning Athlete Agents (2) Organizations and Resources for Agents (3) Athlete Agency Firms (4) Articles and Publications.
- Cases in Sports Law
(1) Supreme Court Cases (2) State and Federal Cases (3) Right of Publicity Cases.
- Coaching Information and Resources
(1) Resources for Coaches (2) Coaching Organizations (3) Coaching Publications.
- Contracts and Negotiation
(1) Contract Cases: Sports and General (2) Publications on Contracts (3) General Contract Resources.
- Disabilities and Sports
(1) Special Olympics (2) Resources for Athletes with Disabilities (3) Athletic Organizations.
- Drug Use in Sports
(1) Drug Testing - Cases, Resources, and Publications (2) Drug Use in Sports (3) Federal and State Drug Laws (4) FindLaw Drug Watch.
- General Sports Law Resources
(1) Sports Law Resources (2) General State Laws Pertaining to Sports (3) Sports Law Publications (4) Industry News (5) Books About Sports Law (6) Organizations (7) Rules of the Game.
- Other Legal Areas Related to Sports
(1) Equine Law (2) Maritime/Admiralty Law (3) Tort/Personal Injury Law (4) Tax Law (5) Criminal Law (6) Copyrights.
- Student-Athlete Information
(1) Eligibility Requirements (2) Recruiting Information (3) Division I-A Links by School Name (4) Division I-A Links by Conference (5) Links to Other Schools and Conferences.
(1) Trademark Resources (2) Articles about Trademarks (3) State Laws Governing Trademark.
- Women and Sports
(1) Women's Sports Organizations and Resources (2) Articles and Publications About Women and Sports (3) Title IX Information and Resources (4) Title IX Cases.
Sports Law News
Mark's Sportslaw News
Relays the latest news and analysis of the legal developments affecting the sports landscape.
Sports Law Associations
American Bar Association - Forum on Entertainment and Sports Industries
To educate attorneys in the legal principles and transactional aspects of entertainment and sports law.
Black Entertainment and Sports Lawyers Association (BESLA)
Organization of lawyers and other entertainment and sports industry executives in support of a more diversified, expert and informed group of entertainment and sports industry professionals.
Committee on Sports and Entertainment Law of Harvard University
To provide an environment in which students can meet, exchange ideas, and learn about legal practice in the sports and entertainment fields from prominent attorneys, executives, agents, managers, professors and artists.
Cornell Law School - Sports
International Association of Sports Law (IASL)
To cultivate and develop the science, the research and the teaching of sports law and the institution of the Olympic Games.
International Council of Arbitration for Sport (ICAS)
To make available to the sports community a useful instrument and efficient infrastructure permitting the resolution of disputes arising within the field of sport.
National Sports Law Institute of Marquette University Law School
Strives to be the leading national educational and research institute for the study of legal, ethical, and business issues affecting amateur and professional sports from both an academic and practical perspective.
Society for the Study of Legal Aspects of Sport and Physical Activity (SSLASPA)
To further the study and dissemination of information regarding legal aspects of sport and physical activity.
Sports Lawyers Association
A non-profit, international, professional organization whose common goal is the understanding, advancement and ethical practice of sports law.
Trial Lawyers for Public Justice (TLPJ)
National public interest law firm that has done extensive work on Title IX cases and illegal discrimination against women in athletics, and is dedicated to using the skills and approaches of the nation's top trial lawyers to advance the public good.